Hi Dr. Allan Schwartz, I've been diagnosed with Anorexia about 5 years ago. After that I followed all instructions given by my therapist, including taking Fluoxitine. For nearly 2 years nothing had improved and I stopped because I had to relocate. My situation hasn't been too good. I'm very sick of myself not being able to quit all this ritual eating and thinking. I can't concentrate on my work, I can't read and I can't even stay focused when I go to the movies. My head just keeps working on food and calories all the time. Now I weigh about 75 pounds I am 5 feet 2 but rather healthy. I tried to find self-help guides and have been reading on some materials except that I can't bring myself to do it. I really feel helpless and hopeless and just want my old me back but I don't know how...
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.