Where do I begin? I suspect that my husband has a host of psychological problems. The most damaging to our relationship is his distortion and exaggeration of the truth, particularly when talking about my behavior. He claims I yell when I don't, he exaggerates my body language, tone of voice, hostility level, etc. He is so frustrating to talk to I would *like* to scream at him, but I do not. He claims that because of *my* behavior, I need psychological help. I believe that I am in reasonable psychological health. He overreacts to many things and I believe he's never matured. His relationship with his mother is more like a husband/wife and I feel like I've married the two of them. They treat each other like children, both very needy. I am not a needy person. He's very compulsive, obsessive about some things, self centered, insecure, blames, I guess I could go on and on. He's very willing to have discussions but they end up like an emotional tennis match. No yelling or outbursts or anger, but draining. We both want to work on our marriage but I am so emotionally tired of dealing with him and our conversations only focus on how all of this upsets *him*. What can I do, if anything, until we can get into counseling? I'm exhausted.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.