My husband's first wife had an affair with his brother while they were still married. They are now married and we all live in the same town. My husband and his ex have two children 14 and 11. For the sake of the children, we all get along. My husband is a very forgiving man and has gone on with his life. I was not around when the affair was going on. I do not care for his ex or brother, but I get along for the sake of the children. My problem is I can't get over my husband getting along with his ex after what she did to him. I know my husband loves me, but I keep accusing him of still loving her. She is short, thin and pretty, whereas I perceive myself as fat and ugly. I can't believe my husband would want me over her. He gets extremely upset when I accuse him of still wanting her. His ex and brother have lots of marital problems and they each come to my husband for advice (which I feel is really ironic). How do I get over this insane jealousy of his ex before it ruins our marriage? The children are very attached to their mother and you have to get along with the mother or else the children will hate you. My husband has a hard time sticking up for himself against his ex because she will turn the children against him. So he feels he must do whatever she says.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.