My wife and I are good friends with another couple. The other couple has a home on the island where we live, but they are currently living out of state. My wife had an affair with the husband while he was staying at our house while in town on business. She says it was just one time, and she can't explain why it happened other than it was an "animal attraction." We love each other and are trying to keep our marriage together. I have two questions: First, is it OK for me to keep trying to get my wife to explore the reason(s) she was compelled to have an affair? Second, the wife from the other couple still does not know about the affair. Both my wife and the other husband are keeping the secret because they don't want her to get hurt. I understand this and agree she would be hurt if she were to find out. I am reminded of the affair everytime there is correspondence between my wife and the other wife, and it bothers me a great deal. There is no communication between my wife and the other husband. Am I too sensitive about this? Should my wife let the friendship go? Should someone tell the other wife?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.