This is probably not a really unusual question considering how many people are using the Internet now. I am a married lady with two grown children, both out of the house. It seems when the kids left home that my husband and I had nothing to talk about anymore. He is a very negative person and having a conversation with him is like talking to the voice of doom. I find it easier and less stressful just not to discuss things with him. He has always been this way, I guess it was just easier to cope with when the kids were taking so much of my time. It seems he feels like our life is over... just sit back and wait to die. Well, I'm not finished yet!! I have tried to communicate this to him but nothing works. I have become very independent and he resents it. He won't do things with me so I do them alone. We have just grown farther and farther apart. I am not making excuses for the rest of my story. This is just the background. It began to become unbearable about 5 years ago. Two and a half years ago, I started talking to a man online. We just struck up a friendship through an email exchange that was perfectly legitimate, not a chat room type thing. During this time I have found him to be someone that I can truly talk to, not just online but on the phone. I have met him a few times and we really get along well. There hasn't been any sex or anything like that. I just enjoy his company in a way that I thought was lost to me! I think I have fallen in love with this man. I know I sound like a teenager but what I feel is real and he feels the same way. But I also feel guilt ridden. I don't know what to do about it. I want to leave my husband, which I have been wanting to do before I ever met this man and probably will even if nothing comes of this relationship. My biggest problem is my kids. I hate to disappoint them. I have a comfortable home and a good family and it seems I should be happy, but I'm not. They would be devastated if my husband and I divorced, no matter what the reason. What to do??
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.