Hi, I have a serious problem and I need your help. My brother has always been a little paranoid but over the past year it has gotten very bad. About a year ago while living with my parents he claimed someone was either throwing something or was shooting bb's at his bedroom window. He claimed they would do this every time he would try to go to sleep. He said they would listen to him and try to keep him awake. Then it started getting worse. He then started to say they were shooting ultra sonic waves at him to cause ringing in his ears. They were worse when he would try to sleep but it grown to all the time. Part of the problem is also some of the junk he reads on the Internet. He has spent a ton of money combating this hidden adversary. My parents in an attempt to do something to help him have decided to move to get him away from this ghost. My brother has been staying with me for the last few month and he claims they followed him there. Now he believes they are shooting microwaves at him. Another idea he go from the Internet. No one around him suffers from these problems and no matter how ridicules his theory's are we can not convince him of his problems. Trying to just drives him further away and causes arguments. Right now my parents are trying to sell their home of 32 years and move to another state in a hope that a change of scenery will help. I know he will probably hate me if I did this but is there anyway I can get him some help without his consent. This has already torn the family apart and I am at my wits end. It is starting to cause other problem with some of my siblings including myself. Everyone is always so depressed. Please help.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.