I can't tell you how I appreciate this service because I really can't put this matter to anyone else. My Mother is obsessed with her family. They all are. It's all they ever talk about and it's not a positive feeling, by any means. She and her sisters and brothers are constantly trying to control and hurt each other. There were 10 of them, but the youngest one is now over 60 and some have died. No amount of time can mitigate their desire to control each other's behavior though. My question is: when my Mother calls and starts to scream and whine about how awful her brother is, (the one that she insisted had to live with her so that he couldn't live with any of the others), what should I do? As a good daughter, do I just listen as she "vents", (her word), or can I suggest to her in some non-hurtful way that this obsession is harmful to her and boring and inconsequential to everyone else?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.