I am 26 and have been in a relationship faithfully for 7 years. Completely unforeseen, she writes me a letter stating that she is confused and cares for me dearly, but doesn't feel it is fair for me to wait while she sorts things out. She left this letter on my side of the bed that we shared for the past two years for me to find when I came home from work. We have spoken very little since and all the times it has been me to contact her. This happened just over a month ago and I have tried to "move on," but I cannot because I now realize just how deeply I love her. We shared some rough times together and I feel towards the end it was those times and stress of both of us establishing careers that caused her doubt. I keep thinking that if I could just talk to her face to face, that we could iron things out. Would this be the wise thing to do? She has been shy and rather sheltered since I've known her. I think she is acting out (i.e. belly piercing, drinking, cursing, crazy different sex all in the last few months). Your advise would help a lot. She responds with concern when I call and she wants to "stay friends."
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.