Anne, I have been separated from my husband for the past 4 months. We have been married 21 years and have 2 children, 1 at home (16), and 1 not at home. I feel as though for the past 21 years I was the one who sustained our relationship. I was the one who raised our children. Now I am tired of taking care of him. We are in counseling, both individually and together, but I see very little change in him. There are days when I want my freedom more than anything, and then there are the days where I feel that I am the bad person for not sticking it out. I am scared to move on with my life since this is all I have ever known (we got married right after I graduated). I have been suffering with major depression for the last 14 years and I am afraid of staying and afraid of going. Some days it's just a miracle that I even get out of bed, but I continue on with my daily routine when all I want to do is to roll up into a ball and forget about life, forget about having to make decisions...where do I go from here?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.