Dr. Schwartz: I have been married to a wonderful woman for almost a year now. She has a 14 child who lives with us. The child is from her previous marriage. The 14 year old girl acts very well and balanced in front of me, but secretly and constantly asks her mom questions like: "who do you love more, him or me?" or, "I dont think you love me mom" and things of that nature. Her mom always reassures her and tries to help her understand the different kinds of love but the girl continues on. It is causing a lot of depression in my wife,to the point that she says she will not be able to continue this way, and is even starting to lose hope in the relationship, feeling that she is being put in a "my daughter or my husband" situation and feels hopelessness and becomes depressed and unresponsive,"doom and gloom." The child refuses to see a counselor. Any advice? --RA.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.