My wife wants to separate after 23 years of marriage. She is under a lot of pressure from work and grad school. We have a daughter that is a freshmen in college and a son that is 15. she has a very intrusive mother, which has really never cared for me. Two weeks ago my wife said she was through and wanted to separate to see where she was and what her feelings were for me. She said she is tired and that she is weary and tired of raising me too! This all caught me by surprise. We had a rough time several yrs. ago when she was going through treatments for cancer. she is considered a cure, but it got us financially strapped. During that time, I had an affair of the heart, but not physical with one of my daughters teachers. I kept a journal with thoughts and ideas that was written very passionately and my wife found it. She said she has never forgiven me for that and the fact she thought I was not there for her when she was ill. I was scared to death I was going to loose her and at the same time working to keep a roof over our heads. I got into a business partnership that has been like driving on five miles of bad road. It has been very hard on both of us, and I bring a lot of that frustration home with me. But other than the partnership, I thought all was going smooth. this hit me by a complete surprise.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.