My girlfriend and I have been dating for about 11 months, and during this time we have a history of problems but we always pulled through together. Recently we finally started not arguing whatsoever and were happy, however she found herself getting angry and sarcastic with me much faster than before, but not as frequently. She knows shes doing this, and she cant stop it, but she wants to. During a walk we took she yelled and snapped at me, while I kept trying to make peace, and later on she apologized and told me she was thinking to herself "Ok -her name-, stop... Why arent you stopping?" She cant control it and she called out to me for help by asking me to tell her to stop snapping at me when she does it. Well we all know that makes people madder. How can I help her? What ideas can I give her to help herself? We thought of professional help, but she and I want to see if we can fix it ourselves before we take that step. Please help me, we need this help badly.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.