My father seems to have lost his mind completely. He has never been diagnoised with any mental health issuses that we know of but we believe that he urgently need help before someone is seriously hurt. He is noticeably deranged. We are afraid that he will hurt someone if we call the police and nothing is done to remove him from the home right away. We would like to have him admitted to a mental health hospital but we are sure that he will not agree to go. Can we have him admitted without his consent? Who do we call and how do we we go about it? We believe that our lives are in danger, last night he stripped nacked and woke everyone in the house by screaming, \"I am going to kill you all\", while holding a butchers knife in his hand. This morning, when we tried to talk to him about what he had done, he did not believe that he was holding a knife. Is there anyone who can help us? Sincerely, Seekinghelpasap
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.