My girlfriend and I had been dating for a little over a year and we had plans to move in together in a couple months. About 3 weeks back she told me she didn't feel ready for the move so we decided we'd put it off. Since then, she said she feels like she can't be in a relationship right now and needs time to sort out her feelings. She's been under a lot of stress from work and misses her family. She's moving closer to her family in the next couple of months.
The only issue we ever had was she felt like we were just boyfriend and girlfriend and not "friends" like we used to be. There is a fairly substantial age difference. I'm 30m and she's 21f. Before this explosion, there was talk of marriage and a life together. Now I'm left wondering what happened? Do you think this is reparable if she's given the proper space and time?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.