My girlfriend of 20 months who lives 750 miles from me has a very hard time showing affection. I have gone to see her numerous times anywhere from 5 days to 2 wks at a time. During this time she only has kissed me and told me she loves me 2 times. She was the one that kissed me first after we had only seen each other several times. When we met for the first time she hugged me and when I left she hugged me and then it stopped. She is very affectionate when making love which we didn't do until we met the 2nd time. At times when I am with her it seems like I am not there. This would be easier to understand if we lived together and seen each other on a daily basis. Her son says she is cold and has never shown emotions or affection so it is not just me. I know there are alot of ways of showing love and I understand that she loves me. Please shed some light on this matter.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.