My mom and I... don\'t exactly get along.
I am a sophomore in college and I am very cerebral - I don\'t let my emotions influence most decisions, which is good, and am, in fact, rather out of touch with most of my emotions. My mother, on the other hand, tends to be what I perceive as not exactly a follower of logic and tends to speak before she thinks and do things in an illogical manner.
Mom and I are arguing about a lot of serious things - the way she treats me, the way she and I communicate, etc. - and I can\'t seem to get through to her, nor does she seem to understand what I say when I talk in a clear fashion. I\'m on my last bit of sanity when it comes to talking to her.
I don\'t know what to do about her.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.