Hello Dr. Schwartz,
My husband, for the past year, has been lacking interest in his own hygiene. Sometimes he goes for days without bathing and even wears the same clothes. I try to wash them and place out options of clean clothing. Sometimes he eats bit, mostly doesn't, and only sweets and unhealthy choices. He's not over-weight and is in good physical health. However, he lacks going out or doing things with family and friends. Sometimes I'll find him drinking a few beers during the week. This is unlike him and I when I talk to him he responded back with, "I can't f*#¥ have a beers!"
He was in the military and it was determined that he has no PTSD. Still, he goes to work and acts ok with people. I'm concerned and feel that he is in denial. He doesn't want to talk and changes the subject. What's really going on with my husband!??
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.