I've been in a loving relationship with a man for 5 years now. I am 33 and he is 31. We are not married and we do not live together.
Lately, there have been some episodes that are making me have doubts about him. He has been abusing me verbally for quite some time, degrading me and insulting me with really bad words. But what made me become more alert was a thing that happened about 2 months ago. We were fighting and, because of something that I said, he got really mad, raising up his fist and trying to punch me on the face. It didn't happen because I blocked him with my arm and at the moment he got scared and didn't try to do it again.
I'm scared he will do it sometime in the future. That was the first time he tried something like that. Should I break up with him? Please help me, I am not happy with this situation.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.